Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Guanxi

Guanxi means “relationships” in China and is vital to get a job, promotion, or to get anything done. The American analogue is connection but as with many things gunaxi is much more complex in China.
When we went to get train tickets at the booth across from the campus south gate we were rudely surprised. Soft sleeper for Thursday night? Meiyo (no). Hard sleeper? Meiyo. Seat? Meiyo, Only Friday night, which would shrink our weekend trip to invisibility. Then I remembered: Mr. Ma, Director of International Programs, has powerful guanzxi. When I entered his office he was eager to see me. Henan University has a new leader and The University of Akron President Louis Proenza had sent his counterpart a letter of congratulations. Official correspondence carries weight in China. Big news—I was mentioned in the letter. The new president wants to have a meal with me. I have guanxi!
I explained our dilemma. Mr. Ma picked up his phone and began to tap out some numbers. “I’ll call you later,” he said.
A couple of hours later he told me to come to his office and pick up the tickets. Two hard sleeper berths. Guanxi.

No comments:

Post a Comment