Friday, March 6, 2009

Touring Kaifeng

Kaifeng is something of a domestic tourist attraction. It isn’t a blip on the screen of Westerners traveling around the country, but the Chinese come to see the historical sites. The government is supposedly exploring how to add a little more polish the town to attract more business.
Before we begin exploring Kaifeng, I must introduce you to Professor Xue Yufeng. The wife of Professor Kang, head of the English Department, Yufeng is a teacher of American literature. She has studied at UCLA and done extensive research on American war novels. Her doctoral dissertation analyzed Asian-American fiction. What three novels does Yufeng require her students to read this semester? Answer later.
During her time in the USA Yufeng was joined by her husband and daughter and together they traveled all over, including Grand Canyon and New York City. Her daughter’s favorite? Why, Disneyland of course.
Yufeng contacted me shortly after I arrived with the clear intention to make me feel welcome. In my first weeks she has surpassed even the high standards of Chinese hospitality. She loaned me a cell phone and helped me set up an account (texting, or as it is called here “messaging” is the way to go. Each costs only 1.5 cents so I’m finally becoming proficient). She guided me in getting a park pass so I have unlimited access to the system.
Yufeng was kind enough to spend a long day showing me a few of the major Kaifeng sights. There is an 18th century Guild Hall, built by area merchants. Just about every decoration seeks to invoke good luck and fortune. The city boasts a major temple featuring the Buddha with a Thousand Eyes, a four-sided image that looks like he’s extruding peacock feathers with eyes on the tips. The Temple of Lord Bao is dedicated to a judge of such legendary integrity that he was eventually deified. 
I saw this young lady dressed in traditional costume and wanted to take her picture, but just as I was about to ask her boyfriend requested that I pose with her. Westerners are still somewhat exotic here.There are still several major sites to see. The weather is warming, Barb is coming, and the Kaifeng experience continues.
What novels are Yufeng’s students reading this term? A Catcher in the Rye, A Farewell to Arms, and Slaughterhouse Five.

No comments:

Post a Comment